Finding a bike for a female who is slightly on the heavy side can be a bit challenging. A lot of things can go wrong during the search if the process isn’t handled meticulously. The reasons for this are varied and manifold. Nevertheless, the primary concern going forward should be making sure that she feels comfortable on the bike. But you will also want to take into account the bike’s durability.
So, if you are one of those people who has a plus-size female friend, and you’re in the market for a bike that will fit her needs, then you have arrived at the right place. Simply continue reading to learn more about bikes for plus-sized females.
One of the things you’ll need to bear in mind when trying to find the right bike for her is that cycling should be fun!
3 Best Bikes for Plus Size Ladies Comparison
3 Things to Consider For Plus Size Ladies When Buying Bikes
Petite women would have no problem finding a bike that meets their comfort needs. However, for women of 80kg and above, the extra weight becomes a major issue when selecting a bike that they can ride comfortably.
Therefore, the size of the seat, and the amount of padding it has, assumes paramount importance. Also, the tires should be of such a specification that they can withstand the extra weight. This means that they should be wider than ordinary tires, and capable of holding more air pressure.
Durability is another highly-desirable characteristic you’ll want to look for when shopping for a bike for plus-sized women. Otherwise, you may find yourself doing it all over again in a short while.
Therefore, even though you’d ideally like the bike to be as light as possible, you’d also want it to be solid enough to carry the extra weight. So, look for a manufacturer who has earned a reputation for building quality bikes, and whose products have an excellent safety record. Bikes that fit this description are usually built from tough, aluminum alloys that can stand up the pressure of the extra weight
3.Ease of Use
Another favorable characteristic for plus-sized women when it comes to bikes is the ease of use. Because they are a little heavier than most, they wouldn’t be further encumbered by unnecessary trinkets and doohickies that only impede their ability to enjoy themselves.
For example, the crossbar should be designed in such a way that it is easy to navigate when mounting the bike. Otherwise, mounting and dismounting the bike would be made extremely difficult.
4.Encourages Upright Riding
Because they encourage the rider to hunch over, most women find riding a bike difficult anyway. This difficulty is amplified if you happen to be a plus-sized woman. Therefore, when shopping for a bike for a plus-sized woman, look for one that encourages an upright riding position. This will make the riding experience more enjoyable, and it will alleviate unnecessary strain on the lower back.
Now that we have completed the list of desirable characteristics to look for when shopping for a bike for a plus-sized female friend, we can move on to the list of various bike models that we think meet these specifications:
Schwinn Loop Adult Folding Bike Review
This bike carries a weight load of up to 220 lbs, and heights from 48-60 inches. The Schwinn Loop is designed for urban cycling and comes with a fully foldable steel frame that is both durable and easy to store away. This is a big convenience for people with limited space at home.
It also comes with the Shimano seven-speed twist shifters and Shimano Derailleur. Together they collaborate to provide the smoothest gear change action in the business, while the front and rear linear pull-brakes ensure optimum stopping. This bike also comes with inch alloy wheels fitted with street-ready tires for longevity. It also has a rear carrier with a heavy-gauge nylon bag included. It is ideal for carrying books, backpacks, groceries, or any other of many essentials. And, as with all Schwinn products, the Loop comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
• 7-Speed Twist Shifters: With 7 speeds, you can easily navigate any obstacles the road may throw at you.
• Foldup Design: The frame folds up into a neat little package for easy storage.
• Rear Carrier: The rear carriage makes transporting school books and groceries easily and safely.
• Comfort Design: This bike is specially designed for women who are a little on the heavy side so that getting on and off the bike is a breeze.
• Easy to Assemble: Requires very little assembly when compared to comparable bike models.
• Low weight limit: 220 lbs excludes a lot of women when you think about it
• The bike can be difficult to fold at times and may take some effort
sixthreezero Around the Block Women’s Cruiser Bike Review
This bike is an excellent choice for anyone who is slightly on the heavy side. It can carry a weight of up to 300 lbs and can accommodate riders from 5-6 ft. tall.
Around-the-Block is the perfect bike for plus-sized cyclers. It is easy to operate and provides a comfortable, stable, vibration-free cycling experience. Plus, it is available in 21-speed models.
- Easy mount/dismount step-through frame
- 2’’ wide cruiser tires for a smooth ride that navigates bumpy roads with ease
- Handy rear rack
- Ideal for multiple-terrain adventuring
- Extra-wide plush padded seat: This is a must for plus-sized women. The over-sized seat ensures that they have a comfortable riding experience.
- Comes in a wide variety of colors: If you know anything about women you know how fond they are of colors, whether it’s clothes or bikes.
- Affords upright riding: Alleviates strain on the lower back
- Doesn’t come with front or rear fenders
Schwinn Wayfarer Bike Hybrid Retro-Styled Cruiser
When we say hybrid, this bike truly lives up to the name. It combines the smooth ride of a touring bike, the functionality of a task bike, and the roughness of a mountain bike, all in one. Meaning, you will feel just as comfortable on it making a trip to the market as you would riding it to work, or a trek up a mountain trail on holidays. It also comes equipped with 7 gears for versatility and a lifetime warranty for peace of mind. In addition, it is constructed from roughed, polished steel that guarantees longevity. It features a retro design with matching fenders and a rear rack, something you don’t usually find in today’s bike designs for women.
It comes comes with dual front and rear brakes that are easily accessible. This dual braking system design provides optimum stopping ability, giving the female rider the confidence she needs to navigate those sharp corners and sudden stops that can be nightmares for plus-sized women.
- Advanced hybrid design: The hybrid design means that it can tackle a number of jobs without losing any of its integrity. It is a touring bike beach bike, and mountain bike all rolled into one.
- Dual front and rear braking system: The dual braking system especially handy during inclement weather, like rain, or on unfamiliar terrain.
- 7-speed gear shift: The 7 speeds give you the ability to humble any terrain and make it bend to your will for a worry-free ride.
- Standard-sized carriage: The standard-sized carriage means that it can accommodate plus-sized women, and accommodate youngsters when they feel like taking it for a spin.
- Attractive matching fenders and rack: fenders come in handy when you’re riding on a wet roadway. It prevents the tires from spinning water in the air and getting you unduly wet.
- Instructions lack specificity
- No front handlebar basket
Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser Bike Review
This bike can accommodate any woman from 5-6 ft. tall and can handle weights up to 300 lbs.
The Firmstrong is a smooth-riding bike that is easy to operate, which makes every outing an enjoyable adventure. Firmstrong Urban Lady Beach Cruiser is excellent for women who love recreational biking but don’t want a bike that is a hassle to operate.
Urban Lady Beach Cruiser is so simple it was designed with only one gear and one brake, so you know it is easy to operate. Even for those whom biking is a new experience, or haven’t ridden in a long time. Or those who are intimidated by getting on a bike, like some plus-sized women. But, rest assured, riding a Firmstrong is as basic as it gets when it comes to riding a bike. No cumbersome cables are dangling from a complicated gear system to get in the way or anything like that. The Firmstrong is a simple women’s bike that delivers what it advertises – simplicity! It makes biking fun and comfortable again.
The ride it provides is smooth and effortless, and the extra-wide tires and the huge spring seat delivers unmatched comfort. The braking system is based on the original cruiser brake design, which means that you reverse pedal to apply the brakes.
• An accommodating oversized seat for comfort: Everybody knows how uncomfortable your bottom can get when riding a bike. This is especially true for plus-sized women. Well, the oversized seat of the Firmstrong alleviates that worry.
• Adjustable handlebars: This feature means that you can bring the handlebars to you, rather than having to lean forward to get to them. For plus-sized women, this action could lead to injury or worse.
• Cableless gear system
• Wide handlebars with comfortable rubber grips: the extra-wide rubber grips resist slipping and give the rider the confidence she needs for carefree biking.
• Balloon tires for an extra smooth ride: If you’ve ever ridden on a bike with those ultra-thin tires, you know how uncomfortable that can be. Fortunately, the Firmstrong has considered that and given their bike a set of super-wide tires for a superior smooth ride.
• No front and rear fenders
• Only one speed
Schwinn Meridian Adult Trike Bike Review
The amazing thing about this bike is that it can accommodate riders for 5’4” to 6’2” in height.
But, in reality, it is a full-sized tricycle masquerading as a bike. The Meridian’s 3-wheel design instills confidence in riders who are not used to riding, or riders on the heavy side that may find traditional biking too difficult to navigate. This design also provides a lower profile to promote easier mounting and unmounting.
Schwinn Three Wheel Cruiser Bike features a single-speed drive train, front linear-pull brake, and rear disk brake, which affords the simplicity of use. Also, the Meridian promotes an upright riding position that alleviates pressure on the lower back, and the spring-action seat is easy on the derriere. Oh, and last but not least, it also comes with a handy rear basket for carrying things like backpacks and groceries. This bike is truly a revolution in cycling.
• Affordable price
• Handy, foldable rear basket
• Upright handlebars that alleviate lower back strain
• Upright handlebars may diminish seating comfort
• Comes fully assembled and ready to hit the road
sixthreezero Body Ease Women’s Comfort Bike Review
The sixthreezero Body Ease Women’s Comfort Bike is designed for total comfort. It has a stable frame and ease-of-use makes for an amazing riding experience. Body Ease bicycle features a low-profile, step-through frame that makes mounting and unmounting a cinch. It also has an adjustable suspension and spring-action seat for the ultimate in riding comfort and stability. This bike is built for any woman who demands a hassle-free ride.
- Ultra-low profile for easy mounting and unmounting: Saving money is always desirable, and the 630 makes that possible by providing one of the lowest price bikes on the market.
- Hybrid tires for an exceptionally-smooth ride
- Seatpost suspension for back relief and comfort
- Shock-resistant fork
- High-tech calibrated frame for stability
- No fenders
- 3-speed gear system might not accommodate some off-road activities
So, we feel like the list above provides ample choices for any plus-sized woman to find the right bike for her. In arriving at this conclusion, we examined the likes and dislikes of some plus-sized women and considered everything. And we have added the pros and cons that led us to the listing order. So, examine the pros and cons and see which one delivers the most when it comes to accommodating her needs.